Charlotte, NC - The NJCAA has announced the second annual Lead Her Ship Series: Engage & Inspire. The four-week virtual leadership academy aims to empower women and advance the association's female administrators and coaches through interactive and informative learning experiences.
"We are excited to present the second annual NJCAA Lead Her Ship Series to the membership," expressed Molly Simons, NJCAA Vice President for Championships, Governance & Membership. "This year's series will feature an impressive lineup of speakers and topics that will foster personal and professional growth for all participants."
Series participants will have the opportunity to hear powerful messages from leaders within the NJCAA and collegiate athletics while cultivating strong networks with colleagues. Virtual courses will run every Thursday afternoon from 1:00-2:00 PM ET from September 23 - October 14. Registration will be open to NJCAA members beginning September 9.
"After the successful launch of the NJCAA Lead Her Ship Series in 2020, I am excited for the opportunity for the association's female administrators and coaches to learn from leaders within the college athletics industry while making meaningful connections with one another," stated Dr. Christopher J. Parker, NJCAA President & CEO.
NJCAA registrants will hear from industry leaders on selected topics and have the ability to interact live and ask questions throughout each of the sessions. Dr. Debbie Yow, NC State Athletic Director Emeritus, will kick off the series to share insights on understanding how our thoughts influence and impact those around us. Considered to be a pioneer in the athletic administrator and coaching professions, Dr. Yow served for 29 years as a Division I Director of Athletics, following eight years as a head coach in Division I women's basketball and five as an administrator. Dr. Yow's coaching resume includes time as the head women's basketball coach at Kentucky, Oral Roberts, and Florida before beginning her career as an administrator at Saint Louis, Maryland, and NC State.
Other session topics will focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion, mental health and the student-athlete voice, and work-life balance. Mary Young, NJCAA Senior Women's Administrator will serve as the moderator of each session.
2021 NJCAA Lead Her Ship Series Speakers
- Dr. Debbie Yow - Athletic Director Emeritus, NC State University
- Sherese Parker - Director of Intercollegiate and Intramural Athletics, City College of Chicago Kennedy-King (IL)
- Sara Steinman - Director of Wellness, Athletics and Recreation, Delaware County Community College (PA)
- Kevin Thomas - Director of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, NJCAA
- Angie Beisner - Senior Director, U.S. Council for Athletes' Health
- Alex Wong - Senior Director, U.S. Council for Athletes' Health
- Nathan Hartman - Student-Athlete, Montgomery County Community College (PA)
- Dr. Shannon Yates - Athletic Director, Fayetteville Technical Community College (NC)
- Alicia Williams - Head Volleyball Coach, Iowa Western Community College